My Indian ( Panchamrit ) Muesli

My Indian (Panchamrit) Muesli 



 From their childhood on every pooja at our place both my kids would fight to make Panchamrit. Since they were the ones making it they always loved it.  In fact all of us loved it and we used to make it in bulk rather than in small  quantity which is the norm.Despite our love for it, Panchamrit is usually prepared during festivals only. So I thought of tweaking it to suit our day to day lifestyle. 
Those who aren’t aware ,  I will briefly explain what is Panchamrit .“Panch-amrit” panch means 5 and amrit means nectar. It is a mix of five foods used in Hindu worship which usually are – Milk, Honey, Yogurt, and Ghee & Sugar.
Although these five are the basic elements of panchamrit but over the year’s people have improvised on it and added a few more elements to it. In our family we use fox nuts, rose water and of course Tulsi (Indian holy basil).
 According to Ayurveda there are many health benefits of Panchamrit. You can definitely google for more information. The original concoction of five elements was pretty good on its own but changes I have made should only enhance its health benefits.
 Long and short of all this explanation is, that we all love Panchamrit but it is made only few times in a year so I thought of a way out and improvised.Well I added few nuts here and there and voila my Indian (Panchamrit) muesli was ready. Don’t worry process of making it is much shorter than all this explanation.

.



SERVES: One person

INGREDIENTS:

1. 3/4 cup cold milk or room temperature but not hot.
2. 1/4 cup plain yogurt
3. 1/3 cup Makhana (Fox Nut)
4. 2 Tsp. Honey
5. 1/2 Tbsp. Raisins
6. ½ Tsp. Muskmelon Seeds
7. 5 Almonds
8. 1/2 Tsp. Rose Water
9. 2 Tulsi Leaves (Indian Holy Basil)
10. 1/8 tsp. Ghee (weight watchers can skip if they want)




METHOD:


 1. Take a cup of cold milk ( you can use almond milk / coconut milk also) in a bowl add 1/2 a cup of plain yogurt to it and stir it with a spoon. I like my yogurt chunks so I don't stir it too much.
2. Add honey, maple syrup, agave or any sweetener you like. I have used honey here. You can leave out all the sweeteners if you want to have your milk unsweetened.
3. Add Makhana (fox nut), you can cut your Makhana in 2 or like me use it whole.
4. Add other assorted dry fruits of your choice .Here I have used sliced almonds, muskmelon seeds, raisins.
5. Add  2 Tulsi Leaves (Indian holy basil). Tear Tulsi leaves with your hands.
6. Add 1/8 the tsp. Of ghee. If you are watching calories you can skip it but according to Ayurveda it’s good for you in small quantities.
7. Rose water for flavor (optional). You can use pure vanilla extract or just have it plain.
8. Stir everything with a spoon and enjoy.



                       
2.                                           
3.                                 
4.                          
5.       
6.                                

7.                                      

Comments